Marrone Opens Up QB Competition
Open QB Competition: Doug Marrone announced today there will be an open competition for the quarterback job. The team took a step towards that by re-signing Tavaris Jackson today. He was inactive for all 16 games last year after being traded for just before the season started. Chan Gailey had said it was impossible to get him the snaps he needed to challenge for the job. Marrone told Jackson and Ryan Fitzpatrick they will challenge for the starting quarterback job with likely others being involved in the competition. That seems to indicate that the team will likely hold on to Fitzpatrick as well. Front Office Page.
Thursday February 14, 2013
Bills Add Two: The Bills announced today that they have signed two street free agents. They added QB Aaron Corp and OL Hutch Eckerson. Corp was with the team last spring as an undrafted free agent out of Richmond. Eckerson was an undrafted free agent who spent time with San Diego in 2011 and then spent time with New Orleans last summer.
McGee Released: The Bills continue to clean house as they have have announced they have released Terrence McGee. This move is not a surprise based on the injuries that have mounted for him over the past few years. He was among a trio of players with the longest tenure on the team along with Chris Kelsay and Rian Lindell. Buddy Nix praised his 10 years of service and wished him luck in the future in a written statement. Depth Chart.
Monday February 11, 2013
Wilson, Barnett Released: It seems like the player evaluations are all finished. The Bills have announced they have released their two leading tackles from last year, veterans Nick Barnett and George Wilson. This is the beginning of what could be a huge house cleaning as Doug Marrone is looking for players that will fit his system better. Wilson is a veteran who's play diminished last year while Barnett played almost every down at linebacker but may not fit whatever new scheme they are developing. He announced his own release on twitter where he thanked the organization and the fans. Buddy Nix released a statement where he said, "Moves like the ones we’ve made today are never easy, but we have to do what’s best for our team and keep moving forward. We’ve got some good young players on our roster who we feel are ready to take the next step and they will now have the opportunity to do so. We thank both Nick and George for everything they’ve given the Bills organization and wish them nothing but the best for the future.” Depth Chart.
Thursday February 7, 2013
Jones Won't Be Retained: The Bills announced today that Donald Jones will not be tendered an offer and will now become an unrestricted free agent. Earlier in the day there was a report that the two sides were locked in contract negotiations. Either that report wasn't true or the two sides were far apart. Jones was the starting wide receiver last year and opens up another hole in a weak position behind Stevie Johnson. Buddy Nix released a statement where he thanked him for his service to the team and said he released him now to help his chances of catching on elsewhere.
Contract Extension For Jones? It has been a quiet time at One Bills Drive as the coaching staff continues their evaluation of the current roster while the scouts are preparing for the combine and the NFL draft. One player the coaches have obviously evaluated highly is Donald Jones. WGR is reporting that a league source told them that contract talks are ongoing for a new deal for the restricted free agent.
News Archives index
Latest News Section
Back to Bills Daily Homepage